Color and Black and White Travel Photography
Copyright and Usage Guidelines
[Copyright Information] [Usage Guidelines] [Purchasing Prints] [Back to previous page]
The photos shown on this site are not in the public domain. Any use of the photographs on this website - including downloading, reproduction, modification, distribution, republication, printing or selling - is prohibited without my prior written consent. If you want to use any of the images please read the "Usage Guidelines" below.
I don't have the copyright for any of the maps you can find on my site. To the best of my knowledge, all of them are in the public domain (please contact me if I'm wrong on that). I modified them to show the locations where the photos were taken.
[Top of page]
(v1.5 November 20, 2005)
Since I published this site I have received several e-mails from people who wanted to use some of my images. Thanks to all of you for your interest in my photos and for respecting the copyright. Unfortunately there was some "abuse" of my goodwill, so I decided to write down what I call "Usage Guidelines". Please keep in mind that I'm not a native English speaker and an amateur photographer, and that this site is non-commercial.
If you want to use some of my photos, here's what to do:
- Read the following guidelines. By using any of my photos you accept them in the version valid at the time I gave you my permission. I reserve the right to modify these guidelines at any time at my sole discretion, without prior warning or having to give any reason. I also reserve the right to modify the guidelines in my written answer to your request, and in that case you accept these modified guidelines if you use any of my photos.
- Send me your request using the contact form. I'll then give you a written permission or not, with or without modification of the actual guidelines, and with or without comments. Please include a brief description of what you intend to do with the photos, and if it's for a commercial or non-commercial project.
- Disclaimer: All photos shown on this site have been taken by me, I therefore have the copyright and I'm the owner of the originals. To the best of my knowledge I do not violate any rights or any legislation
by showing my photos on the Web. If so, then please let me know. I haven't explicitely cleared any third-party rights on the images in case such rights exist. Therefore, by
using any of my photos after having received my permission as the copyright owner, you agree that you do so at your own and sole 'risk',
and that I can't be held responsible in any way if there are problems. You agree that there is no kind of warranty, and that under no circumstances I'm
liable in any way to you or any third person for any consequences related to the fact that I gave you permission to use my photos. I just provide the
photos 'AS-IS'. As the publisher/editor you're the only responsible person for what you publish, and you will have to take care to clear third party right in case there are. As a professional you're in a much better situation than I to assess the situation. In case you need me to sign a release form please be aware that (currently) under no circumstances I will sign anything that engages my responsibility and liablility concerning third-party rights.
- I reserve the right to withdraw any given permission at any time if
- forced to do so by a third party,
- you don't respect the guidelines or
- the description of the intended use in your request is false or misleading (i.e. commercial project instead of non-commercial).
In each case you agree to stop using the photos immediately (as for my liability see above ==> none).
- I would like the context in which my photos are displayed to be "O.K." Not "O.K." is context including, but not limited to illegal, offensive, racist,
pornographic or otherwise - in my opinion - objectionable content.
- Feel free to alter, modify or adapt any of the photos you have permission to use according to your needs.
- All given permissions are non-exclusive.
- A permission is only valid for the purpose described in your request. Any other or further use is prohibited without my prior written consent.
- Non-commercial use: You can use the photos for free if your project is non-commercial (personal, educational, scientific, artistic, NGO), i.e. personal website, school assignment,
research article, NGO-brochure etc. In case the use could be considered 'fair use' (educational or scientific) you don't need to ask for my permission in advance, but send me a message that you've used one of my images, and a word on the context it was used in.
When in doubt, ask first.
- Commercial or editorial use: If your project is commercial or editorial, or you expect to generate revenue from it, then please expect to sign a licence agreement and to pay a licence fee. I may however make exceptions in cases for one reason or another you are tight on budget.
- In return for my permission I ask you to give me photo credit, mentioning
my name (Stephan Edelbroich), and please set a link to the following URL:
http://www.photo-exhibits.com. The text I'd like to have for the backlink will be specified in the permission I give to you.
Should it not be possible to give me photo credit, please explain why.
It would be nice if you could let me know the URL of your site once you publish
it. It may be possible that I link back to it, so please let me know if you
don't want me to do so.
In case you use my photos for an offline-publication, I would be pleased if
you could send me a few copies of it, unless you're very tight on budget.
- 'Hotlinking' (*) will only be tolerated if you have my express written
consent to do so (unless you're a specialized search engine). In case
you have my permission to use an image for publishing on the Web you should
be prepared to make it available on your own server. Of course, (deep)linking
to html-pages is OK.
The images you can find on this site are low-resolution scans, optimized for being displayed on the Web. I will not make any high-resolutions scans available, except if a licence agreement is signed.
Contact me if you're still interested
in using my photos or if you have any questions regarding the guidelines.
(*) For those of you who don't know what 'hotlinking' is: it
means setting a direct link to a jpg-image which is not hosted on your own server.
If your HTML code includes something like <a href="http://www.photo-exhibits.com/example.jpg">
or even worse <img src="http://www.photo-exhibits.com/example.jpg">
then you're hotlinking. Please don't do this because you're using other people's
bandwidth. If you nevertheless do so, it's easy to stop, and you will not like
[Top of page]
Sorry, unfortunately this is not possible. Really! Not because I'm not willing to do so, the reason is that I'm an amateur photographer and that as such it takes too much time and efforts to make high quality prints available at a reasonable price.
[Top of page]
[Back to previous page]
© Stephan Edelbroich